Uses for KOH in Soap, Energy & Batteries, Manufacturing, and More
Potassium hydroxide is a strong alkali, it is very soluble in water, and is also highly corrosive, so it must be handled with great care. However, its solubility, alkalinity, and corrosiveness are exactly why it is such a versatile chemical product with so many applications in manufacturing.
KOH in Soap and Cleaning Products
- One of potassium hydroxide’s main markets is the manufacture of soap and cleaning products as the chemical is used for the saponification of fats. Although sodium hydroxide is more commonly used for soap production, potassium hydroxide creates a softer soap. KOH is also more soluble than NaOH, which means it has a higher content of cleaning agent by liquid volume and so is typically used to make liquid soap.
- KOH is used in heavy duty products for cleaning concrete, brickwork, and ovens, as well as more delicate cleaners, such as those used on dentures.
- KOH is also used to unclog drains and pipes.
- KOH is also present in non-phosphate detergents.
KOH in Energy and Battery Production
- When applied as an aqueous solution, potassium hydroxide is used as the electrolyte in a variety of battery types, such as nickel-cadmium, manganese dioxide-zinc, and alkaline.
- KOH is also used as an electrolyte in some fuel cells.
- Its popularity in battery and fuel cell production is because it is a better conductor of electricity than a sodium hydroxide solution.
KOH in Manufacturing
- As a basic industrial chemical, KOH is used throughout the manufacturing sector, for example in the removal of grease or oil from metals.
- KOHis used to make glass.
- KOHis also used to make paint and varnish removers.
- In the manufacture of paper, it helps separate lignin from cellulose fibres as well as dispersing any foam the process makes.
- Photochemical developers contain KOH.
- Potassium hydroxide is a vital raw material in the leather industry as it helps to remove hair from animal hides and is also an ingredient in leather tanning chemicals.
- KOH is used in the manufacturing of printed circuit boards and other micro-electronic devices.
- KOHis used as a bleaching agent.
KOH for Miscellaneous Uses
- In medical procedures it is used to determine whether a person has a fungal infection.
- Some species of agaricales (gilled mushrooms), polypores (bracket fungi), boletes, etc., can be identified by observing the colour change after applying them with an aqueous solution of KOH.
- It is an etchant in the wet processing of semiconductors
- It is used to produce potassium salts that have varied uses in industry and manufacturing. For example, potassium permanganate is widely used as a disinfectant, while potassium cyanide is used in gold mining and electroplating.
Where to buy Potassium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide？
Here at SHINING DEAL we have Potassium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide for sale. We export worldwide, so you can contact us for a FREE quotation via email address [email protected] or send a message on WhatsApp for a fast response at +86-22-23528561.